Chocolate mousse & compote
Cooks In15 minutes plus chilling
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 279 14%
Fat 20.8g 30%
Saturates 11.8g 59%
Sugars 20.8g 23%
Protein 6.6g 13%
Carbs 22.8g 9%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 150 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 50 g sugar
- 150 ml double cream
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 9 tablespoons apricot or cherry compote
- 4-5 tablespoons brandy
By Sarah Tildesley
- Break the chocolate into small pieces, then melt with a tiny pinch of sea salt in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (don’t let it touch the bowl), stirring occasionally.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites, placing them in separate bowls.
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks until smooth. Whisk the whites with a tiny pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- In a third bowl, beat the cream to soft peaks.
- Mix the cocoa into the egg yolks, then fold in the whipped cream. Fold through the melted chocolate until everything is combined.
- Tip in the egg whites and fold until the mix is smooth and evenly coloured.
- Spoon into a large serving bowl or divide between glasses. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to set.
- Just before serving, gently warm the compote and brandy in a small pan, stirring, then spoon over the mousse and serve.